Recipe type: Entree
Causa Limena is a Peruvian food recipe for lime potato salad served with a Creole sauce.
- 4 large potatoes
- water as needed
- salt, pepper to taste
- juice of 4 limes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 hard-boiled egg, cut into thin rounds
- lettuce leaves
- 12 or more black or green olives, pitted, sliced crosswise
- frozen sweet corn, thawed and drained
- 1 avocado, cubed and sprinkled with lime juice
- 4 slices of white cheese or feta
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- parsley or cilantro, chopped
- hot pepper sauce
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, for about 25–30 minutes. Drain, peel, and mash while still hot. Season immediately with salt, pepper, lime juice (reserve 2 tablespoons for marinating avocado), and oil, mixing well. Let cool.
- Take portions of mashed potato and form into plum-sized balls, flattening them on top.
- Place each on a serving plate and drizzle with Creole sauce.
- For Creole sauce, place onion in a bowl; add salt, pepper, citrus juices, olive oil, parsley or cilantro, and few drops of hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
- To serve, garnish each mashed potato ball with a slice of egg. Surround with lettuce, olives, corn kernels, avocado, and pieces of fresh cheese.