Ají de gallina recipe
Aji de gallina is one of the most representative dishes of Peruvian cuisine. Its peculiar flavor, aroma and color have made it the favorite of all lovers of good food. Make up your mind and try to prepare this recipe that you and your family will surely love.
It’s time to prepare this delicious dish of Ají de gallina Peruvian and enjoy its rich flavor and attractive color! This recipe is ideal to offer a rich lunch to your guests on a Sunday or to vary your family’s weekly menu. The amount of calories indicated includes potatoes and rice. Now we go with the recipe.
|Total Time:||50 minutes|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 french breads (can also be 4 slices white bread)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 hen breast
- 1 tablespoon liquid yellow ají pepper
- 2 yellow ají peppers without veins, seeded, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (Palillo)
- 1 branch of finely chopped parsley
- Salt, pepper and cumin to taste
- 4 boiled and sliced yellow potatoes
- 4 servings cooked white rice
- 2 boiled eggs
- 8 black olives
- 4 lettuce leaves
Peruvian Ají de Gallina Instruction
To begin, place the crumbled or shredded breads in a container of the right size and pour the milk. Stir well and let them soak.
Then heat a pot with water in necessary quantity plus a teaspoon of salt and pour the hen to boil it. The cooking time is usually about 25 to 30 minutes. Verify with a fork that the meat is soft, when ready remove from heat.
Let the hen cool for the necessary time, then proceed to shred the meat and reserve. Also reserve the cooking broth, as you will need it later.
Then heat another pot with a jet of oil, add the onion and let it sauté until it becomes transparent. Then add the garlic, the cream of the yellow ají pepper, the chopped yellow aí pepper, the turmeric, pepper, cumin and a pinch of salt. Let fry for about two more minutes.
After the indicated time, pour the bread soaked with the milk into the pot and add a cup of broth, mix and let cook for 5 minutes.
Then take out the preparation and pour it into the blender. Blend until the mixture looks creamy. You may need to pour a little more broth to facilitate the smoothie.
Then return the product to the pot, add the previously shredded chicken meat and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
To finish rectify the salt. You should also ensure that the mixture has the desired consistency. When everything is satisfied, remove from heat and serve with boiled potatoes and cooked rice.
Tips for making Ají de Gallina
- It is important to stir the mixture constantly throughout the preparation so that it cooks evenly and does not stick. At the end, if it is too loose, let it cook a little more to dry, if it is very thick add a little more broth.
- If you want this dish to live up to its name and feel the hot pepper, use the yellow pepper with the seeds and veins. Before chopping it, it is advisable to rub it and squeeze it a little so that it releases its itching.
- Boil the hen with a clove of garlic a ginger dice to make it tastier. When ready, do not fray it, but rather shred it into small pieces so that you feel its texture better when eating it.
- If you can not use hen, you can use the chicken instead, it will be just as good and the difference in the final taste is not noticeable.
- Serve this dish with a lettuce leaf as a base, then place slices of potatoes and on top of the ají de gallina. On the side serves a portion of rice and garnish with slices of boiled egg and black olives. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.
How to prepare ají de gallina?
There are two ways to prepare ají de gallina. The traditional way is to grind ingredients such as chili pepper and onion in a battan or a mortar. The second way is to chop the dressing ingredients, saute them and then transfer them to the blender. Here we are going to show you the recipe with the second way because it is the fastest and with which you get the best results.
To give the thick consistency to this preparation, fresh or hard French bread is used. If you are going to use hard bread, it is recommended to grate it before mixing it with the milk. If you do not have French bread you can use some soda field cookies, 4 units to replace each bread is more than enough.
Regarding the type of potatoes you can use “yellow potatoes” that are the softest and most tasty. If you don’t get yellow potatoes, you can replace it with white potatoes as a last option.
The addition of turmeric in this recipe fulfills the function of giving a more intense color to ají de gallina. Increasing the amount of yellow ají pepper could also be achieved, but keep in mind that it can be very spicy.