Causa Rellena of Chicken Recipe
In addition to the Peruvian ceviche, the stuffed cause (Causa Rellena) is another of the typical recipes of Peru, it is an old dish that the main protagonist is the yellow potato then the chicken follows, and so the other ingredients.
It is a very soft and creamy cold dish in which the different layers hide such pleasant ingredients as cooked potato, avocado, shredded chicken and mayonnaise.
When eating together the different ingredients, their flavors and textures are mixed in each bite and it is a delicious delicacy. Let’s prepare it and you’ll see how it is a simple recipe that everyone will love.
|Total Time:||55 minutes|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 4 people
- 3 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
- Peruvian yellow chili pepper paste – 2 or 3 tablespoons
- 3 lemons or limes, squeezed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 oz shredded chicken breast
- 2 avocados cut into small slices
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 7 oz boiled peas
- 7 oz diced boiled carrot
- Mayonnaise and salt to taste
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 black olives
- 2 eggs
- Parsley Twigs
Peruvian stuffed cause instructions
Preparation of mashed potatoes
- In a pot boil the potatoes with a little salt, the cooking time depends on the type and size of potato. After the necessary time, verify that they are already cooked, if so remove from heat, let cool and remove the peel.
- You can use to boil eggs in the same pot of potatoes. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes (count as the boil breaks), then remove them and remove the shell. Cut them into slices and reserve.
- With a presser or with the hands proceed to crush (disintegrate) the potatoes until a homogeneous mass is formed.
- In a large bowl place the kneading of potatoes and add the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of oil, a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Then add 4 to 5 tablespoons of yellow chili paste to the dough, mix and continue kneading vigorously. Check the level of salt and oil, the latter is important so that the dough is smooth.
For the filling
- Then, in a pot of the right size, boil the chicken with a teaspoon of salt and two cloves of garlic to make it taste better. When the chicken is cooked, wait for it to cool and proceed to fray it.
- Then in a bowl place the frayed chicken with the peas, the carrot and 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise, mix the ingredients well. Taste and rectify the salt of this filling so that it is to your liking.
Armed of the Cause Rellena of Chicken
- Now smear a glass bowl of sufficient size with oil and place a first layer of the dough, then add a layer of the filling and a little avocado on top. Put an additional layer of dough and finish it with a spoon so that the surface is uniform. Cut into portions of the desired size and shape.
- To serve, use a plate of the appropriate size and base a lettuce leaf. Then put a portion of the cause and decorate the top with boiled egg and parsley. You can also use some mayonnaise to vary the decoration.
Tips to make a Causa Rellena or Causa Limeña
- It is advisable to knead the potatoes with very clean and disinfected hands, if necessary, wear gloves.
- To make stuffed cause you can use any type of potato, but the best you can choose is the yellow potato because it is richer and helps with the final color of this dish.
- If you use yellow potatoes for this recipe, watch the cooking, if they boil they will disintegrate completely and will be unusable. (tips: add a pinch of salt so that the potato does not disintegrate.)
- To accompany, give more variety and colorfulness to this dish you can add cooked and shelled corn. You can also garnish with red pepper cut into medium strips.
- In addition to the way indicated to assemble the cause, you can do it using individual oiled molds or also making a winding. It all depends on your personal taste and the time you have to do it.
History of the cause rellena (summary)
The Causa Rellena of chicken like many other dishes of our cuisine has its peculiar history. Although there is more than one version about its origin, research suggests that it dates from pre-Columbian times. It is estimated that in those days a mixture of cooked kneaded potato and crushed yellow pepper was already consumed.
In the colonial era it is added elements brought from the old continent such as chicken, eggs and olives. In addition to the lemon that gives a slight acid touch to the preparation. It is also at that time that it takes on the final appearance and taste as we know it today.
Regarding the name, everything indicates that since colonial times it was already known as kausay. This word of Quechua means “necessary sustenance” which is also what the potato was called in those days.