Lomo Saltado Recipe
The peruvian lomo saltado of beef is one of the standard dishes of Peruvian cuisine. It is the one that best represents the fusion of flavors of Peruvian cuisine with Chinese-Cantonese cuisine. This time we bring you the recipe and also some tips or recommendations to make it very good.
Prepare this rich Peruvian Lomo Saltado and enjoy its pleasant aroma and exquisite flavor. This dish is ideal to share a lunch with friends, a family Sunday or simply to vary the daily menu of the week. Now yes, hands to the pan!
|Total Time:||46 minutes|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 large onion (purple)
- 1,5 lb sirloin steak (600g), cut into strips
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground garlic
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste
- 3 tablespoons red vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Chinese onion
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Salt, pepper and cumin to taste
- 1 lb french fries (455 g), cooked, hot
- white rice, cooked, for serving, optional
Peruvian Lomo Saltado Preparation
To start preparing the sauteed loin, cut the meat into thick strips (3 x 1 cm approx.) Then add a tablespoon of vinegar, ground garlic, salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Stir, mix well and let stand for a few minutes so that the meat takes the flavor and aromas of the condiments.
Meanwhile, cut the ajís peppers into strips, onion and tomato into wedges approximately 1 cm wide. Reservation.
Then take a pan or wok, add a jet of oil and heat it over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke or give off its smell, add the meat and fry for about a minute, remove from heat and reserve.
Then in the same pan put a jet of oil and add the yellow ají pepper, onion, tomato and fry for about 30 seconds. Then add the Sillao, two teaspoons of vinegar and fry for 30 more seconds.
Then add the meat and sauté for an additional 30 seconds. Make sure that the onion and tomato are not cooked completely, one of the main characteristics of a good tenderloin is that they should be semi-raw.
During the entire cooking process it is important to stir the pan, that is, sauté so that the ingredients are cooked evenly. The sauteed loin is a dish that is characterized by being juicy, if it is very dry you can add a dash of meat broth.
To finish, rectify the salt level, add the Chinese onion, the chopped cilantro (you can use parsley in its replacement) and give a final stir fry. Serve immediately for maximum enjoyment
Tips for making a peruvian lomo saltado
- Cut and season the meat at least one hour in advance to get a better taste of it.
- If you are one of those who do not make trouble with the use of ajinomoto, add a pinch to the preparation, you will see that it is much richer.
- Although the classic sauteed tenderloin is prepared with meat, you can make a cheaper version with chicken. There are other types of tenderloin prepared with fish meat and beef jerky (dried meat).
- When adding salt to the ingredients, keep in mind that during the sautéing, soy sauce is added and it contains salt.
- The beef tenderloin is served on a wide plate. The way to present it is very varied, but the most common is to put the tenderloin in the center and the french fries and rice on the sides. The rice can be served directly on the plate, or before putting it in a round or pyramidal mold to improve the presentation.
- You can accompany this delicious tenderloin with any drink, however a very cold black beer is the ideal combination to enjoy this dish to the fullest.
How to prepare Lomo saltado?
Making beef tenderloin does not represent a great difficulty for an average cook, however certain considerations must be taken into account so that the preparation of this dish is a success in your kitchen. Here are some recommendations for you to read carefully:
For the ingredients
One of the important recommendations that we can make you, is that before preparing sauteed loin you have all the ingredients ready to add to the pan. This is due to the fact that the tenderloin is a quick preparation dish and does not allow time if we forget something.
- The preparation can be done in an ordinary pan, but if you are in the possibility choose a wok so that you get a more traditional flavor with its oriental touch.
- To make tenderloin, the ideal is to use a kitchen that provides high and powerful fire. This is important so that vegetables and meat remain with the smoked flavor that characterizes this preparation.
- High heat is also important if you want to achieve flaming or flambing in this preparation. For this, it is also helpful to add jets of a good alcoholic liquor such as pisco during sautéing. Take the appropriate security measures if you do the latter, fire is not a game.