Peruvian Picarones Recipe
The picarones are some of the most popular and emblematic desserts of Peruvian cuisine. They are part of the tradition of our country and are usually found in street food stalls.
Its consumption is classic in October during the celebrations of the Lord of Miracles, however today they are usually tasted at any time of the year.
Carry out this recipe for Picarones and share with your closest or best-known beings, either in special celebrations or on any cold afternoon. Do not wait more! We go for the preparation.
|Total Time:||2h 40m|
|Difficulty:||Medium to +|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 10 people
- 1.8oz. dry baking yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1.2lb. pumpkin
- 1.2lb sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon anise
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1.2lb wheat flour
- 4 cups of water
- 1 liter of vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 18 oz. of chancaca
- 8 oz. of sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon anise
- 1 fig leaf (optional)
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange skin
Instructions for Peruvian Donuts 😉
Preparation of the dough
- The first thing to do is peel the pumpkin and sweet potatoes, cut them into squares. Place them in a pot with three cups of water, add anise, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- When the pumpkin and sweet potato are cooked, remove them and place them in a bowl. With these, you have to make a puree, you can use a potato press or a fork.
- The liquid resulting from the previous cooking place it in a glass bowl and add the yeast, the 4 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of salt. Let stand for 15 minutes. This step is done to ferment the yeast.
- Now is the time to make the dough. Put the pumpkin and sweet potato puree in a bowl. Next, add the fermented yeast and mix very well.
- Go adding the flour and the liquid that the mash has thrown. Mix thoroughly until a dough forms. If necessary add more water to facilitate mixing. The final dough should be similar to that of a bread.
- Cover it with a cloth and let it sit for about two hours.
- While the dough rests you can make chancaca honey. You will find the preparation below.
Preparation of chancaca honey
- Place the two cups of water together with the anise, the cinnamon, the clove, the sugar, the chancaca, the zest and the fig leaves in a pot. Mix and let the ingredients integrate.
- Cook for about 30 minutes until the preparation has the consistency of a light honey.
- Let cool and then pass it through a sieve so that only the liquid remains.
Molding of the picarones
- After the dough has grown, it is time to mold the Picarones. To do this, you will need some water to get your fingers wet and prevent the dough from sticking.
- In addition, you should preheat a pan with plenty of oil. In this way the cooking of the picarones will be even and uniform.
- Now, to form the Picarones, wet your fingers and grab some dough, form a circle-shaped roll with a hole in the middle. Put it in the hot oil very carefully. So on you must do the others. You must watch them very closely because they usually fry very fast.
- Remove them and then put them on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Finally, dip them in chancaca honey and they will be ready to serve and taste.
Tips or secrets to prepare the picarones
To achieve a smooth and soft dough you must exert a lot of force. Initially, wrapping movements must be made to integrate the ingredients well and then knead for a long time. You can also choose to use a mixer.
In case you don’t have chancaca, you can make honey only with sugar. It will be a little clearer, but just as tasty.
How should picarones be made?
The picarones have a very characteristic taste and smell from the three main ingredients: pumpkin (pumpkin), sweet potato and chancaca honey. Likewise, the flour and yeast that it carries are the ingredients that give it that soft and fluffy texture. Its preparation is a bit laborious, but definitely worth it.