Stuffed Red Peppers recipe (Rocoto Relleno)
Stuffed Red Peppers is an emblematic dish of Peruvian cuisine and its place of origin is the city of Arequipa. It is a dish made based on Pepper, a type of hot Peruvian pepper and inside it is placed a filling made with meat and some species.
It is usually served only as an entree or as a main dish accompanied by another typical Arequipa dish, the potato pie.
Carrying out theStuffed Red Peppers (Rocoto Relleno) recipe is easier than you think, what you should take into account is the freshness and consistency of the rocotos so that they are perfect for you. Dare to prepare this delicious dish and delight your friends and family who are spicy lovers. Now, let’s see the instructions.
|Total Time:||50 minutes|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 12 people
- 12 red pepper
- 6 cooked and peeled white potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1.2lb of fresh cheese sliced
- 1.4lb ground beef or minced very small
- 2 diced cut red onions
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup blond raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground ají panca
- 1/4 cup roasted and ground peanuts
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 eggs cooked
- Vegetable oil – amount needed
- Salt to taste
Peruvian Stuffed Red Peppers Preparation
Peruvian Rocoto Relleno Preparation
- The first thing you should do is wash the rocotos very well on the outside, cut the top part (approximately a circle of 4 cm in diameter) around the stem. These will be the rocoto tops.
- Through the opening, take out the heart of the pepper along with all the seeds it may have. With a spoon help yourself to take out the veins that are on the walls of the pepper. They should be very clean.
- Next, heat a pot with water and add two tablespoons of sugar. Dip the rocotos and when the water starts to boil, remove them and drain them. Repeat this same procedure three times. This step is carried out to bleach the rocoto and lower the itch a little.
- After you do the process for the third time, place the rocotos in cold water and reserve. While we make the filling.
- Now, it is time to make the filling. Place to heat a pan and add a splash of oil. Add the onion, garlic and cumin. until the onion becomes transparent.
- Then, add the ground or minced meat, the ají panca, the peanut, the pepper, the salt and the oregano. Mix everything very well so that the meat is impregnated with all the flavors. Let cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until you see that the meat is cooked and all the cooking liquid has disappeared.
- While the meat is in the fire, chop the raisins, olives and boiled eggs into small cubes. Once the meat is ready, incorporate them and stir everything very well. With this the filling will be ready.
Putting the ingredients to Pepper
- The next thing you should do is fill in the peppers. Then take a portion of the filling with a spoon and fill in each pepper until it is filled. Add a slice of cheese and place its respective lid.
- On the other hand, cut the cooked potatoes into slices and place them on a heat-resistant glass tray in the oven. Beat the eggs with the evaporated milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, arrange the rocotos at the source over the potatoes and bathe them with the mixture of eggs and milk.
- Then heat the oven to 400ºF and take them to the oven for approximately 15 minutes until they brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve a rocoto per person along with their portion of potato pie.
Tips or secrets to prepare rocoto relleno
- The ideal Pepper for this preparation are the red ones, they must be fresh and the bigger the less spicy they are. However, if you want your plate to be more colorful, you can use Peppers of different colors: red, yellow and green.
- If you prefer to use minced meat instead of ground, try to make this minced into small pieces so that its texture is pleasant and, in addition, it is easy to eat.
How to prepare the Stuffed Red Peppers
In relation to the preparation of pepper filling, it can be said that it is part of these dishes that does not take many ingredients and time for its preparation; However, it has an exquisite taste, not to mention its color and texture.
Without much protocol or culinary techniques, the rocoto opens at the top and the veins and seeds are removed and then filled with a mixture of ingredients such as: beef, onion, peanuts, raisins, olives, eggs, salt, pepper, chili pepper and cumin. Above you put a piece of cheese.
The stuffing must be previously cooked. Finally, the rocotos are baked once stuffed until golden brown and the cheese has melted.