Suspiro limeño recipe
The Suspiro Limeño, also known as Suspiro de Limeña or Suspiro a la Limeña is one of the best known desserts in Peru. Although it is consumed mainly in the capital Lima, hence part of its name. This traditional dessert has its name for being an elegant, soft and subtle dessert very similar to the sigh of a woman, as described by its creator Mauricio Reynoso Lara.
The Suspiro de Limeña is an excellent dessert to share with friends and family, or to serve on a special occasion. Today we bring you a recipe of Lima sigh very easy to prepare, although you should know that it takes time and dedication. Hence the importance of preparing it correctly and following the instructions to the letter to obtain an excellent result.
|Total Time:||1h 50m|
|Place of preparation:||The kitchen|
Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup of sugar
- Cinnamon powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup port sweet wine
Preparation of the Suspiro a la Limeña
Preparation of the delicacy
- Place the condensed milk and evaporated milk in a pot, cook over medium heat, stir constantly until the mixture turns a caramel color. This step takes approximately 45 minutes. The thick consistency of it is what will indicate that the preparation is ready for the next step.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with a hand whisk and then slowly add, in the form of thread, the preparation of the milks. without stopping stirring.
- Then, bring the new mixture to the fire, stirring strongly. Let cook for about 3 minutes, while stirring. Turn off the heat and let rest and cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the delicacy in small cups for desserts. Take them to the refrigerator for about an hour.
- In a pot place the sugar, water and port wine, let it cook until a delicious syrup is obtained and where the thread point is formed.
- On the other hand, beat the egg whites in a bowl until the snow point is achieved.
- Slowly add the syrup, still hot, and continue beating until the meringue forms.
- Finally, remove the glasses with the delicacy from the refrigerator and decorate with the meringue. You can use a pastry bag to create a more neat effect or you can also do it with the spoon forming delicate spikes.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon powder and serve.
Tips to prepare Suspiro a la Lima
- When adding the milk mixture to the yolk, you can first add a small amount to level the temperatures and avoid clotting the yolks.
- In case of not having port wine you can also replace it with marsala wine.
- If you want a much softer delicacy, it is recommended to use three cans of evaporated milk for each condensed milk, although with the original recipe it is equally delicious. The preparation is exactly the same.
- The use of raw eggs can generate serious diseases such as salmonellosis, so it is recommended to opt for cooked meringues where the whites are pasteurized with the heat of the syrup.
History of the Limeño sigh
This rich Peruvian dessert has its origin in the mid-nineteenth century in the capital Lima. Some writings give rise to think that this dessert had its beginnings in the kitchen of Amparo Ayarez, wife of the famous poet José Gálvez Barrenechea, who with singular words baptized that delicious dessert of peculiar flavor and texture, made by the hands of his beloved wife, like a soft and sweet preparation like a woman’s sigh.
The preparations of this dessert, both the white delicacy and the meringue arrived in Peru after the conquest. For that time and over the years two versions of the delicacy were perfected. One was prepared with milk, sugar and thickened with rice flour and the other made with egg yolks, milk, sugar and vanilla. The latter being the one that was adopted to elaborate the Limeño sigh.
How do you prepare the Suspiro a la Limeña?
- The Suspiro a la Limeña despite being an elegant dessert for its consistency and sophisticated for its presentation, its preparation is extremely easy to carry out.
- Basically it is a sweet consisting of two preparations, which when combined cause incredible sensations to the palate.
- The first preparation consists of a rich white delicacy made from egg yolks. The second preparation would be the perfect complement, an Italian meringue flavored with port wine.
- Said delicacy or pudding is very easy and quick to prepare, you only need milk, sugar, vanilla essence and egg yolks, being the latter ingredient that gives it the peculiar consistency. On the other hand, the meringue is made with egg whites, sugar and port wine.
- For presentation, the delicacy is served in a glass and crowned with the meringue. And if the diner wants it, you can sprinkle it with a little cinnamon.